The common cold is highly contagious; you can get it from someone who is infected with it by simply getting in contact with the infectious liquid droplets from his nose and mouth. This can happen when he sneezes or coughs, and he transmits his colds into the air. You may also get it when you make contact with items that has been contaminated by his virus.
Symptoms of the Common Cold
By observing yourself, you will know if you are about to get a cold when you feel a slight tickle in your throat. Also, when you notice that you are forming a stuffy or runny nose and you begin to sneeze with increasing frequency. You may also be suffering from a headache at about this time which may be coupled with a mild fever.
If you feel that your muscles are aching and you feel extremely fatigued, you may also find it easy to see that you are indeed developing a cold. In some cases, a loss of appetite may also signal the coming of colds.
Treatment for Colds
Colds usually last for 5 to 7 days only, and may be caused by viruses incurable by antibiotics. The medications available for treating colds are usually only for temporary relief and are not really for absolutely curing it. But there are things that you can do to help you in your dealing with colds.
- First, you can use rubs containing natural ingredients like menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus oil to relieve the stuffiness and congestion, and for a more easy breathing. They will also give you greater comfort since they have soothing and cooling properties.
- You may also want to use the method of steam inhalation. This is best for unblocking nasal passages and would make breathing smooth and easy. To do this, you need to fill a bowl with steaming water and add 2 teaspoons of menthol rub. Afterwards, gently breathe in the steam or vapor that this solution produces.
- It would also help a lot for you to take in large quantities of fluids such as water and fruit juices to replace the fluids that you are losing with colds. Be sure also to eat fruits rich in vitamin C.
- Remember that, to be able to recover faster, you have to take the time to rest since this will help your body in its fight against the illness.
- In case your colds is accompanied by fever, you may take in a regular paracetamol but should high fever persists be sure to consult your physician immediately.
Having a cold may be common, but it doesn’t mean you have to tolerate it in your body. Make sure to take necessary precautions to prevent experiencing colds or take actions to treat them immediately when you have them.